Sunday, June 5, 2011

The [B]log: April 28, 2011 - Day 1

I woke up early today - not of my own accord like the last two days but because a construction worker bulldozing our street rang the doorbell to ask if it was my Silverado parked outside. (It wasn't.) And now I am up. The spot on my desk where my computer used to be looks strangely empty. (I disassembled my computer, putting battery and power cord in one drawer, computer elsewhere.) Last night I partially filled the space with my recipe box and my new ledger. Still, I keep automatically turning to that space - looking for something.

The first thing I did, once I decided that I wasn't going to fall asleep again, was actually to walk right past my desk and head upstairs for a pre-breakfast snack. Fortunately Noor - my housemate who works at Pizza Hut - brought home a pizza for sharing last night. I wandered back downstairs nibbling on a piece. Then what? Without a computer there's really nothing that draws me to my desk, other than the fact that my only chair is there. (I shouldn't say "only." I have a cushy chair that actually isn't that comfortable that I mostly use to drape articles of clothing on.) I sat down in the end and wondered what I should do. That wondering is kind of funny... like it's this void created by the sudden lack of this thing in my life. It's kind of like when you've been busy at school and you wake up to your first day of summer vacation. You wander out of your room, are encountered by the void your former routine has left and pronounce, "I'm bored." Hopefully I won't be bored for long. And actually, this may be the first time I've written in the morning. I kind of like it. But no I have some phone calls to make before work...

No comments:

Post a Comment