...
10 pm - I actually start writing.]
I was going to start writing a lot earlier this evening, but I got distracted. And that's funny because that was going to be the whole point of my post tonight.
Today - a Sunday - I actually slept in, coming off a four-day-straight, open-to-close working streak. Three eleven-hour days, on my feet and dealing with plenty of customers, finished off with a crazy Saturday finale which consisted of everyone and their brother bringing their rusty and dusty (and covered in cat hair???!??) bikes out of their garages after a winter of storage and saying "Could you make this work again?"
[At this point I get distracted by my background music - De La Soul on their album Buhloone Mindstate. They were a pioneering rap group back in the late 80s/early 90s with excellent rhymes. I pause to look up the lyrics to the song Area. Before I get back to blogging, I note that my computer desktop background has been the same for over a week. I search through pictures, finding one of the family cat Hobbes for a suitable background, becoming nostalgic for a number of people of places in the process. Seeing pictures of Pittsburgh remind me that I need to email my former housemates about my stuff being stored there. During the time it takes me to compose an email Brooke emails me a link to a trailer of a movie she thinks looks good. I watch it (Incendies. Looks good.)... return to blogging.]
So like I was saying, prior to today I had been working like a dog. Not to mention that the day before this huge work extravaganza I had spent 8 hours in the bike shop (a nice perk of the job - free use of the shop whenever I'm off the clock) to perform complete overhauls of my and Brooke's bicycles - disassembling, cleaning and re-greasing every moving part, and replacing chains, cables and cable housing.
[Wow, have I really been writing for five whole minutes? Oh yeah, I should finish trying to figure out why I didn't get my last issue of National Geographic before I forget. I go to the website, navigate a million pages, finally find the customer service page - and phew. I did remember to request a replacement issue. Wouldn't want to miss reading about Incas. What was I writing about? I re-read what I've written thus far...]
So, today was relaxing. Still, why do I always feel as though I'm busy. I mean, an eleven hour work day with a 20 minute commute each way is still only 12 hours away from home. I'm awake at least 16 hours a day. Sure I try to spend quality time with Brooke and that takes its share of time, but where does the rest go?
[I get distracted by music again. This time the song Trouble in the Water, still by De La Soul. I look up the lyrics. I pause, remembering the days of middle school - back when music was an event in itself. I would save up and buy an album. Then I would spend - literally - hours listening to the album over and over again, memorizing lyrics, humming the bass line with my deepening voice... Then I remember back to my college saxophone/improvisation instructor telling me that half the secret to playing and feeling jazz was to just sit down and LISTEN to music. Sit down, grab a beer ("or whatever you drink") and put on a good pair of headphones - and just listen. Listen to an album once through for overall form. Is this song AABA? Or ABA? Then listen again, following the soloist. Listen how his solos fit the structure of the song... Hmm. In our culture of iPods and illegally downloading music to the point of music libraries stretching to the realm of tens (hundreds?) of gigabytes, when do we ever actually listen to music. Music is now a second, third or even fourth element of this newly-heralded thing we call 'multi-tasking.' What was I writing about?]
Ah yes, I believe I was about to hint at the thesis of this post: In this modern, technological age people of my generation suffer a good deal of inefficiency as well as loss of quality of life by the constant and nearly infinite accessibility of information. And then I think I was going to flesh that out in another few paragraphs, but oh dear me. Look at the time. I've been "blogging" for nearly an hour already. At least I have my introduction...
But I feel that my lengthy and [What is that word???
One more case study before I begin to wrap up and sign off. The year after I graduated from Goshen I lived with a house full of dudes. Being cheap and resourceful, we signed up for a year of Skype phone service (with a physical internet phone from which we could call long distance numbers, as well as receive calls), facilitating this convenience with an old laptop that sat in our dining room, nearly always turned on, thus enabling our phone. As a byproduct of this setup, we had a computer with internet access already switched on literally inches from every meal shared together. The result was that every (these are going to be exaggerations, for effect) movie discussed was immediately checked out on imdb.com; every debate over factual information was settled via Wikipedia; rumors of new love affairs on campus were verified using the ubiquitous tool Facebook [Google search: "define ubiquitous"... oh good, I did use it correctly]; and of course every new mention of the discovery of an internet meme resulted in looking it up and spending hours being mindlessly entertained. It was fun, and I don't think any of us (myself included) have regrets... but...
But what? Is this bad? Is it bad/wrong to be able to know anything/everything within a few seconds? (Thanks to 3G/4G smartphones, we can now have this convenience anywhere we have cell phone coverage... which is becoming more and more places.) I really don't feel like I can say. On the one hand it's a totally subjective question, and on the other I can see enough benefits and detriments that I don't even have a solid opinion.
The one certain thing is that if I could somehow wean myself entirely of the internet I would make much better progress in my current book...
[An addendum, 4/11/11: This morning I walked over to Brooke's house at 7:30; we were planning to go for a walk then. She was not at her door, so I went inside to find her. She was awake but not yet ready, and I noted her open laptop. "Sorry, I got distracted," she said, "I was trying to figure out how to make my little bamboo plant grow better..."]
talk more about "humming the bass line with my deepening voice..."
ReplyDelete