Today was my fourth day at Erik's. Already the work that I am doing comes more naturally. I intuitively know which allen wrench to grab for a crank (8mm) or a pinch bolt (5mm). I still stupidly stand around sometimes when I don't know what to do next, but all the veterans understand. I'll get it some day.
Yesterday while biking to work a guy with a long beard on a fendered bicycle rode up behind me and introduced himself (Chris). I recognized him as the guy I had zipped by the day before during the same commute. (Theoretically I'm social, but when it comes to making new friends... I'm out of practice. And making new friends while cycling? For me there is no precedent.) I told him I had just gotten a job at Erik's. "Nice. As sales or a wrench?" His question caught me off guard. I ruled out sales and in doing so learned that I am now - by the nomenclature of some - a "wrench." Cool. We chatted for a bit - he's a 12-year bike mechanic veteran himself, quite coincidentally - and then rode off on our separate ways.
Coming home from work last night, after working my first 11-hour day, I was accompanied by my manager Alex on his bike. He's a nice guy - young and likable (I suppose you have to be to succeed enough in sales to become a manager) - and apparently he lives not far from my home. It was fun to chat with him during our ride. I guess I've officially been introduced to the culture of bike commuting. Now I just need the blaring yellow jacket...
One quick snapshot of Alex: Today I overheard him on the phone with a customer, agreeing with something, "Right on, sir."
No comments:
Post a Comment