Hey, guess what? The little kids didn't kill me! or even make me go totally crazy! It was a crazy introduction to kindergarten, but as my story will soon tell you, it could have been much worse. Behold the tale, in Good New, Bad News format:
Bad News: I got a call to "guest teach" for a kindergarten class today. I was totally terrified of kindergartners!
Good News: Today was Dr. Seuss Day!!! (Dr. Seuss' birthday)
Bad News: I didn't know and so I didn't dress up like Dr. Seuss Characters like a lot of the cool teachers did.
Good News: I got to make ooblec for the kids (and me) to play with!
Bad News: I only had 15 minutes to make 8 pans of ooblec before a room full of 5-year-olds came barging in.
Good News: Another teacher watched my class coming in while I finished up (and was really friendly and helpful).
Bad News: I still got off to a late start.
Good News: I got to read a fun book to my first group of students (the whole grade travelled between classrooms to different book and activity stations).
Bad News: We got done late and the next group came in while I was still reading.
Good News: That's okay, it's ooblec time! Everyone loves ooblec!
Bad News: Ooblec is very messy. It was time to change groups in 5 minutes. I didn't have a sink. I had no idea how I was going to get 15 kids' hands clean in less than 5 minutes with no sink.
Good News: Oh wait, we do have a sink in the class' bathroom!
Bad News: Despite instructions to wipe the ooblec off their hands and into the pans running to the bathroom, the kids managed to get ooblec EVERYWHERE!
Good News: It's okay, when my class came back for the first break they were more than happy to help clean up.
Bad News: Now I have to keep them occupied for a whole hour before lunch.
Good News: (At the teacher's recommendation...) INDOOR RECESS!
Bad News: I hear a little girl say with urgency, "teacher!" as she barely manages to prevent 2 pans of ooblec from spilling on the floor after she bumped them with the bin she was carrying.
Good News: Teacher saved the day! (and the floor.)
Bad News: More story-reading (it gets old after the 3rd or 4th read) and play time, but one kid becomes very difficult and refuses to do anything.
Good News: An aide intervenes and saves the day!
Bad News: The kids got the room messy again!
Good News: Hour lunch break for me!
Bad News: I forgot to bring a book to read during lunch break.
Good News: I'll write a letter to my sister instead. AND after lunch I have more free time when the kids go to gym.
Bad News: I realize that the teacher didn't say when to pick the kids up from gym class.
Good News: An aid tells me.
Bad News: It's in 10 minutes and there's a 50 minute hole in the lesson plan! I have to come up with something to do for the entire time.
Good News: I brought dried peaches for lunch. I use them to tell a story about fruit in Colorado where I used to live. We play BINGO for dried peach slices, listen quietly to a story for dried peaches and line up quietly for more peaches!
Bad News: More stations, groups of kids, reading the same story over and over, and more mess!
Good News: The end is near. The kids finally leave!
Bad News: They left ooblec and papers and crayons everywhere!!!
Good News: Cleaning ooblec off tables is super easy compared to teaching kindergartners. I survived.
No comments:
Post a Comment