Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Best of 2009

[This was also begun January 4, 2010]

And now (in an unprecedented dual post-publishing event) the SECOND of two consecutive posts! [Funny, now it's three...]

It has come to my attention that it is in fact a new year, according to the U.S. calendar. I was only made aware of this change approximately two days after the event when I said to myself, "Oh. It's 2010 now." The simple reason for my unenthusiastic hailing of this new decade (Or does that start in 2011? We never figured that out ten years ago, did we.) is that at the hour of the roll-over, I was peacefully sleeping in my bed in wood-heated cabin in a snowy woods. Funny how the night ends earlier without the artificiality of electricity to keep you revved up. It was this same lack of electricity (and access to the internets... and maybe laziness) that kept me from writing this post at a more appropriate time. But 'better late than never!' is my motto for this year (as are 'eat less sweets' and 'do what makes you come alive'), so I will post away.

The following are lists of good things that I found this year - in several different categories. I share them with you both to let you in on a part of my life and to offer recommendations of various media. Enjoy.

BOOKS:
I only completed a few this year. Most were spectacular. The highlights:
Anna Karenina (by Leo Tolstoy): This epic Russian novel is full of detail - to a fault if you're not into that sort of thing, but I eat it up. Throughout the reader is led back and forth between the lives of Anna the tragic woman, cursed by her unsympathetic husband and the consequences of her sins and Levin the philosophical protagonist, on the quest for a fulfilling life. Very interesting.
-The Sandman Series (by Neil Gaiman): What an amazing story! In it we meet Dream (Morpheus, the lord of the Dreaming), his siblings - the Endless - and a whole host of other awesome characters. The character development makes the series, but the drama that unfolds is ingenious as well. This definitely opened up my eyes to the unique potential of the comic book medium.
-The Ancestor's Tale (by Richard Dawkins): A survey of evolution, as described by our (humans') evolutionary ancestors. Marvellously written, this book has captured my attention more than any other work of non-fiction and has thoroughly excited me about biology.

MUSIC:
I love listening to music, and with a plethora of mind-numbing jobs to be had at the winery (pruning, driving tractor, etc.), I've had plenty of time to listen! These were some of my favorite from 2009:
-Ben Harper: I went with some friends to see him in concert in 2007 without knowing his music that well. Since then, I've been slowly getting into him, and this year I was blown away! He is such a versatile and talented musician, as a songwriter, vocalist and guitarist. And, passing one of my strict criteria for a good musician/band, he came out with a new album last year that totally rocked! (as opposed to petering out later in his career)
-Jurassic 5: I have always kind of liked old school hip hop, but I often had difficulty finding stuff that wasn't too vulgar or annoying. And then I heard Jurassic 5. They've got a rocking/grooving/funky sound combined with some amazing rhymes. Not to mention, if you listen to the words you hear feelings! emotions! A song about treating women well, the complexities of relationships, being a good role model for your kids... A unique group in the genre.
-Creedence Clearwater Revival: These guys can rock! The more I listen to them the more I like them. Also, listening to their actual albums (rather than just the songs compiled on Chronicle) has allowed me to fully appreciate their range of style. A great band to drive, cook or rock out to.
-Medeski, Martin & Wood: I've known about these guys for a while, but this year I really got into them. Not only do I love the jazz organ in general, but these guys take jazz to a whole new level! Some of it's kinda avant-garde, but on the whole it remains very listenable... and just plain funky and AWESOME.

FILMS:
I like watching movies. Mostly I watch them for entertainment, but I can also really appreciate film as an art form. Bonus points if the film-maker can entertain me in a beautiful way...
-Milk: An amazingly true story about a gay man running for the San Francisco Board of Supervisors. Sean Penn is fantastic in portraying such a charismatic and principled character. And the story depicts an amazing landmark in Equal Rights.
-Adaptation: I'm still not sure I really understand this movie, but it was mind-blowing. The layers of plot and character development are just fantastic. A beautiful movie.
-I Am Sam: Maybe I just love Sean Penn or something, but this movie marks another amazing performance by him. The story of a mentally challenged father seeking custody of his daughter, this movie is a real heart-wrencher (I cried quite a bit during it). In my movie notes in my journal I have written, " Amazing acting, amazing cinematography (great angles & movement), amazing soundtrack (original music AND Beatles covers), and amazing story!"
-Stardust: I've watched this movie at least 3 times now, and it never gets old. Maybe it's just the genius of Neil Gaiman, but this story is the epitome of fantasy: Fantastic characters (with outstanding acting), fantastic world, and fantastic lore. A very happy tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment