And yet again three weeks have slipped by along with three weeks' worth of good intentions about "writing every day! even if just for ten minutes!" Let's be real. But I would love to write more.
Part of the craziness lately has been trying to finish out my first term at Hamline, and being met with large papers to write on top of major presentations and the usual underlying humdrum of reading lots and lots of sometimes-very-boring material. Just yesterday I passed a major milestone in completing a 12-page research paper that started out exploring the benefits/downsides to year-round schooling and ended up being a 12-page treatise on how potentially awesome the calendar can be for students and teachers alike. It's ironic too because one of the many reasons I initially wanted to be a teacher was for the long summer vacations...
Another realm of activity in my live has been moving into a new apartment. This process began over three weeks ago, moving a few boxes into a storage unit in the basement of my new apartment building, which is approximately 6 blocks from my old apartment and a mere 2.5 blocks from Brooke's house. I then left for PA for a week, came back on the 31st and had a crazy moving in session that very evening with Brooke and her family. (Many thanks to Joe and Luanne and the great big van!) And now I'm in the process of slowly reclaiming items from Pittsburgh, trip by trip, and trying to pack them into my tiny little apartment, lovingly named "the dungeon." What's worse, since I know that I should be working on homework, it takes an extra effort of willpower to not unpack all the boxes of cool stuff that I've been missing since December.
A few other things everyone should know. My new apartment building is right across the street from a large park. Brooke and I have a folding card table that we keep leaning against a wall near my door, and we try to have dinner in the park as much as possible, which is all too infrequently. Also, way back while I was working at the bike shop, I managed to piece a new bike together for myself with some new parts and some old parts. It's a bit more friendly for commuting, and it is very much a work in progress. It will hopefully get some studded tires for this winter and maybe some better gear ratios when Brooke and I finally get around to our goal of light touring. The bike is named "Jeconiah." Brooke and spellcheck don't think this is a legitimate name, but it's totally biblical. Look it up.
Cheers.
No comments:
Post a Comment