Thursday, June 25, 2009
The Sun.
Here in the mountains of Colorado (as with other high-elevation locales) the sun makes a very noticeable difference in temperature as perceived by the human being. A cloud passing by can make it feel like it got 15 degrees cooler. Also, for some reason - perhaps the long periods of time with no clouds or perhaps the thinner atmosphere - it is very easy to get sun burned out here, even for me with my somewhat darker complexion. Unfortunately, I hate sun screen. I always have and I always will (unless they make it so that you can't feel it). I could be considered a dirty guy, but when it comes to the feeling of dirt, grime, grease, stickiness, etc. on my skin for long periods of time, I begin to get edgy. So being forced into a dailyl ritual of slathering oily lotion all over my exposed body is less than appealing to me. Furthermore, here at the winery, one never knows what the day's labors will entail. Usually, I try to grease up before leaving for work so that I don't waste time card time taking care of my skin. And yet... there are often times when I put on sun screen only to discover that we'll be working inside all day! What a bummer! Sometimes I feel lucky, like we'll surely be working inside... and then I don't put on sunscreen and then we work outside. Crap. Today was a new record, however. I had information direct from the boss-lady (she told us yesterday) that we would be working inside today. I proudly marched on over, not a drop of sunscreen on my body, and was told by boss-man that we would be working on a slip form for a masonry project... outside. CRAP! I took a bottle of sunscreen and began applying it to my bare arms and lower legs. Just as I finished (annoyed at guessing wrong, even with inside information), Lance came and said, "oh yeah. I forgot. I need you guys to bottle inside today." DOH!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
*sigh*
ReplyDelete